There are many popular websites that people enjoy browsing
in their free time, like social networking site. A few months ago, I was
interning in a kindergarten classroom, and the teachers kept talking about
Pinterest. The teachers were talking about all kinds or crafts and school
activities they were finding. I was curious, so I had to look up this website
they were talking about!
When I found the website (http://pinterest.com/), I signed
up for free and was amazed. It was like an Internet clipboard. This website
contains all kinds of topics to choose from. The page is full of pictures that
can be clicked on and taken to the website where the picture was located. If
you find something you like, you can “pin” it to your own Pinterest page.
One of the topics that can be picked is “Education.” There
will be pages full of pictures to click on to find useful websites for
education. It contains things like classroom organization, fun hands-on
activities, and education news. This site is great for teachers, because if you
find something that you like, you can simply pin it to your board. It is also
good for parents because it contains useful information for helping children in
school.
Since my blog is focused on getting a child ready for
school, you may want to use the search option on Pinterest. You can search “preschool,”
and everything on Pinterest concerning preschool will pop up. Because of
Pinterest, I found this great website: http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2012/03/71-things-your-child-needs-to-know-before-kindergarten/
. This site shows parents what their
children will be learning in kindergarten. It is easy just to search the
Internet for this kind of information, but with Pinterest it is posted on your
board. Since it is on your board, it is easy to find. I have many boards like
recipes, style, and teaching boards. I pinned this site into my teaching board,
so I can just go to my board and find this site by the picture. Pinterest is
just a great way to remember all the education sites that I have found, and
other people can view my boards to see my sites.
I would recommend for teachers to use Pinterest to find
ideas for their classroom organization and activites. I would recommend for
parents to use Pinterest to find ways to prepare their students to begin
school, or to just prepare for the upcoming year. I personally love the site,
and I think others will enjoy the site, too.
Pinterest is a useful tool. I believe the key to benefiting from this site is to have time to invest and search for ideas which are appropriate for your child or classroom. It can be easily overwhelming. A friend gave me great advice... only pin what you are going to use.
ReplyDeleteI love Pinterest! It can be such a wonderful learning tool. I often "explore" the education, DIY/crafts, and kids categories looking for creative projects I can do with my son and links to informative websites. I have yet to pin anything, but I like Zandra's advice in her comment to only pin what you are going to use yourself.
ReplyDelete