I did my internship in kindergarten, and I was surprised how
well the children were able to adapt to going to school every day. Some
children might have already attended preschool, so this might have helped.
There were a few days a child would come in crying because they missed their
mommy, but after a little talk, they were ready to start the school day.
I really like lists of ways to get
students ready for preschool. One day, I will need to use these tips I find on
websites! I found a great website that has some good tips: http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Preparing_Your_5/.
There are only a few tips, and I think they are great ideas that parents would
like to try. I want to go over my favorite and why they popped out to me.
One of the tips for preparing your
child for kindergarten is all about getting your child excited for
kindergarten. The parent needs to remind their child how exciting kindergarten
will be and all the new things that they will learn. Make sure your child is
not scared to go to school, but that they understand how much fun they will
have. If the child sees their parents are excited, hopefully they will not be
scared to leave them.
Another step is visiting the school
before class starts. Every teacher has an open house night or meet the teacher.
The child will be more comfortable if they are able to meet the teacher before
the first day. The child will also be able to meet some of the students that
will be in their class. This is also a time for the student to see the
classroom that they will be in all year.
I really like the tip of getting
the child into a routine before school starts. It recommends waking the child
up like it was a school day, getting ready, and eating breakfast. This will
help the child be used to the schedule before the first day of school. Also,
make sure the child knows how to do many things by themselves. The parent can
ask the teacher some things their child might need to be able to do, like
putting on a jacket. A teacher will not be able to put on every child’s jacket.
Students need to know how to use the bathroom and put their shoes on and off.
One thing that I saw many students struggle with was the milk at lunchtime. If
a child could open the milk cartons, they were so excited to help their new
friends open their milk too. Also at lunch, many students could not open their
yogurt and other things that were sent from home. It is helpful to the teacher
and your child if their food sent from home is something the children can open
by themselves.
Many children might be able to
easily transition into going to school, but some of these steps might be
helpful to other children that might have a hard time. These steps are really good if a child has
never been to a preschool. The child needs to feel comfortable at school. If a
child feels comfortable at school, they will have more fun and learn more.
I really need this! Although my son still has another year of preschool before starting kindergarten, I'm already thinking-and stressing a little-over what he needs to know in order be prepared to enter "big" school. I've read from more than one source that teachers of young children especially appreciate students who can do things such as tie their shoes, zip up a jacket, etc. independently. These are all things to consider as we get ready for the full-time school routine. Great post!
ReplyDelete