Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Twitter List



From the creation of my Twitter list, I learned that there are many different resources available to teachers, even on Twitter. I never really thought of Twitter as a place to find information on education. I guess I do not see social networking as a place to find teaching resources. This Twitter list taught me that I was not using a Web 2.0 tool that could provide me with a lot of information on education. This list definitely opened my eyes to how useful Twitter can be in the education field. I will be using this list to keep up with education articles in the future.

Some criteria for my list were an account that had many links and useful resources. I did not want a site that included a lot of useless posts. When I picked Twitter accounts for my list, I tried to search the Internet for good accounts relating to education and technology. I wanted a trusted account that was recommended by others. I would look at the last five posts on the accounts and see if these posts included useful topics or links. If it did, I would include them on my list. If a site did not seem to aim at my degree of elementary education, I did not include it.

Some of my favorite resources that I found when creating my Twitter list were @TheEduTrap and @Welearnmore. Both of these sites post great articles and links. Their posts really catch my eye and make me want to read them. They stood out because I could look at my Twitter list feed, and I wanted to read the articles from these two accounts. @TheEduTrap is all about staying up to date on education and the latest innovations. @Welearnmore feeds great education blogs to Twitter.

Other professionals can use my Twitter list to find articles on education. Most of my accounts on my Twitter list are aimed towards education in general, but a few of my accounts are aimed more towards elementary education. Elementary teachers may find my lists more helpful, but I wanted my list to be helpful to everyone. Other professionals can use these accounts to stay up to date on educational innovations, and other topics involving education. My list does not have to only be for teachers. If a parent is interested on learning about education, they could also use my Twitter list to stay up to date on education.


2 comments:

  1. Twitter surprised me as well. I found some amazing technology and early education resources on Twitter, which I can incorporate into my classroom and suggest to my families. Like you, I found the most beneficial accounts to be direct and follow their theme consistently. I look forward to the information you will be sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once I started playing around with Twitter and actually figured out the language, I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was/is to use. I like that tweets are to the point (gotta be when working with a limited number of characters), and that they can contain such valuable information. Although you, Zandra, and I are all blogging on similar topics, our Twitter lists are very different. That's the great thing about social media and Web 2.0-we can incorporate what speaks to us most as individuals and put the links out there for others to learn from as well. I will definitely check out @welearnmore and @topedutweets from your list.

    ReplyDelete