Tuesday, March 13, 2012

iPads for Learning


I am amazed with the technology in schools. I am more amazed by how well most students can use new technology. When I went to school, we had expo board, computers, and overhead projectors. When I got to college, I was opened up to a whole new world of technology. When I started my internship, I was lucky enough to go to a school with great technology. This school had MacBook Pros, iPads, iPods, and Smart boards. The students already knew how to use the iPads and iPods. I know that not all households can afford to have these things, but they are great tools to prepare students for school. It is also great to introduce them to children before they get into school so that they will be prepared to use them in school.
The school I interned at had just been given iPads, and the classrooms could sign up for times to use them. I had not even used an iPad until my internship. When my classroom received the iPads, the students could not wait to use them. I was wondering how playing with iPads was going to benefit their learning. The school loaded only educational apps for students to use.  Many students kept saying how their parents had an iPad at home and had certain games on their iPads too. The students loved Lunchbox, which was a preschool application. (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/monkey-preschool-lunchbox/id328205875?mt=8) These children were learning how to use iPads before kindergarten and were playing educational games. Some students had not used an iPad, but the other students were eager to help and show them fun games.
It is great if a parent can afford an iPad and let their student use it as a way to learn. These applications were preparing the students for kindergarten.  The students probably did not realize that they were learning, but the games were requiring students to use their knowledge to win games. If a parent or family member has an iPad, it would be great to load educational games for the child to play. Students will learn and will have fun doing it. I have included a link at the bottom that lists great applications to download that prepare students for kindergarten.
It really amazes me how much technology has changed. There are so many new ways to teach students. It is great for a child to have some exposure to an iPad or iPod and the many educational applications that they can offer. It is a great way for children to learn information for school and to learn about technology. Many schools are lucky enough to be able to let children use new technology. Students will learn how to keep up with ever-changing technology in school. Although, having some knowledge of new technology before school is very helpful to children.

http://kids-apps.mobi/pre-k-letters-and-numbers/ 

2 comments:

  1. I agree that iPods and iPads can be wonderful additions to classrooms and can enhance student learning. Technology can be easily individualized to meet different learning styles and can be modified to aid students with special needs.
    There are important ideas to consider when integrating technology. Most importantly, it should support the learning objectives. Another consideration is the level of instruction need for students to successfully navigate the tool or application independently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son loves Monkey Preschool Lunchbox. It is certainly amazing how quickly he caught on to using the iPad! I'm glad that you pointed out that students familiar with using a tablet or mobile device were eager to help their peers who did not have experience. That's a great example of collaboration, even at an early age. The kids probably caught on faster learning from their peers, too. I added your links to my google reader list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete